Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dirt and Sores


A big lesson God taught me in Haiti was His complete acceptance and delight in each one of us- despite our "dirt and sores". Each day the kids- so hungry for hugs and affection would press into me as I read to them. The new "smells", the crowding and their many open and weeping wounds proved overwhelming at first- but as my love for the kids grew, I realized something-
I didn't care anymore if I brought home scabies nor did I notice their open sores rubbing up against me.
I hadn't suddenly become a better person, instead I had been given a heavenly glimpse into God's view of me. He impressed upon me that spiritually I had been an unbathed, open-sored, orphan in filthy rags and that all of my attempts to become clean or righteous on my own were like " filthy garments" ( Isaiah 64:6) Through Christ's sacrifice I have "received a spirit of adoption" (Romans 8:15). Christ took me into His arms and let my sores and wounds rub against Him and then made me whole and new in His Love! Melissa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How absolutely perfect! Thank you for sharing this and congratulations on your new additions. We will love up on them when we get to Haiti in these next few weeks and we will be sure to tell them how much they are loved.